Thursday, December 14, 2006

Novel Time!

Finished The Prestige by Christopher Priest during finals. Made a lot more sense than the movie, though I did like the movie as well.

Also read Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind, which was also made into a movie to be released in the U.S. after Christmas. Very interested to see how this book translates to the screen. Tom Tykwer of Run Lola Run directed.

On my list to tackle this holiday season:
The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
Absalom, Absalom by William Faulkner
Waiting for Gertrude by Bill Richardson
Malinche by Laura Esquivel
Digging to America by Anne Tyler
Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
Plain Heathen Mischief by Martin Clark

However, finals are over and therefore I feel less inclined to procrastinate by reading other things. We'll see.

2 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger Andy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Andy said...

I'm pretty sure you don't know who I am (I'm a friend of Johanna's) and I know this warning may be 4 months too late, but if you didn't read the Sword of Shannara, don't bother, unless you really want a saccharine Lord of the Rings knock off. That said, I did read the first 3 all in one awkward middle school summer, followed by an agonizing wait for each of the next 4 (I was totally confused at the end of the first one when it didn't end). And, I suppose the mythology is fun and all, but it's mostly just lame and if you're craving fantasy, there's better stuff out there.

Oh, and if you did happen to read it and love it, then you should explain why to Johanna so that she can explain it to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home